The following is a summary of my 2017 participation in the 52 Hike Challenge 2017. I decided to participate in the challenge after reading about it on social media. Who doesn’t love a good challenge or quest? Especially when it is outdoors? We are always up for anything, so I thought it would be a great “couple” goal for Hubs and me while helping me get healthier. While I’m hopeful that we will be able to do most of the hikes together, we have each done solo hikes due to our schedules. To document each hike in the challenge, I am writing a summary blog post/photo essay. While I’ve linked each hike listed below to its corresponding post, you can also scroll through all of the posts at once. To date, I’ve hiked 5.73 miles in 2017.
January: 4.12 miles
February: 6.34 miles
• Hike 3 – 02.04.17 | 1.61 miles | Red Rock Wilderness Overlook Regional Park, Leesburg, Virginia
• Hike 4 – 02.11.17 | 2.4 miles | Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship, Purcellville, Virginia
• Hike 5 – 02.19.17 | 2.33 miles | Ball’s Bluff Battlefield Regional Park, Leesburg, Virginia
March: 5.30 miles
April: 7.25 miles
• Hike 8 – 04.15.17 | 2.30 miles | Shenandoah National Park, Luray, Virginia
• Hike 9 – 04.22.17 | 3.07 miles | Hemlock Overlook Regional Park, Clifton, Virginia
• Hike 10 – 04.29.17 | 2.15 miles | Greenbrier State Park, Boonsboro, Maryland
Injury Update (July 2017)
• Due to an ongoing ankle issue, I was in an orthopedic walking boot for several months and will have surgery in early August.
• Consequently, I do not know if/when I will be able to hike. I do know that I will be taking the recommended time to let my ankle heal fully before I put on my boots again.
• Finally, read my post about pausing my challenge if you want to learn more about my injury and recovery.